Re: [squid-users] I need some assistance please

From: Billy Macdonald <whmac33@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:45:17 -0700 (PDT)

Make sure the /usr/local/squid/cache and /usr/local/squid/logs directories
exist and then give the user that squid runs as ownership of the directories

by default it is owner=nobody, group=nogroup in 2.4.STABLE7

ex.
chown -R nobody.nogroup /usr/local/squid/cache
chown -R nobody.nogroup /usr/local/squid/logs

If you run squid logged in as root than it will run as the user specified in
squid.conf. if you run squid as non-root then it will run as that user and
that user will need to be able to right to those directories.

P.S. I don't think this was in the install instructions when I setup squid so
whomever maintains that may want to add it to the instructions.

Billy

--- Ola Abraham &lt;abraham_ola@yahoo.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; I'm configuring a squid server and got stuck at a
&gt; point of running the /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -z
&gt; command.
&gt; It responds with the following comments:
&gt; 2002/08/27 03:40:07 Creating Swap Directories
&gt; FATAL: Failed to make swap directory
&gt; /usr/local/squid/cache1:00 (13) Permission denied.
&gt; Squid cache (Version 2.4.STABLE7) terminated
&gt; abnormally
&gt;
&gt; Thanks
&gt; Ola Abraham
&gt;
&gt; Do You Yahoo!?
&gt; Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes
&gt; http://finance.yahoo.com