[squid-users] Transp. + Authentication

From: K.V. Chandrinos <kostel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:16:29 +0300 (EEST)

Hello all,

I 've noticed no-one asked recently if there is any solution implemented
to bypass the rather naive HTTP shortcoming of not being able to prompt
the user for authentication when no proxy has been explicitly declared and
you are running squid as transparent. Well, I opt to be original, at least
for the last week of August 2002!

I know it's a frequently unanswered quest, just checking on progress
before I go about inventing wheels, using a same-box Web server,
redirectors and stuff.. If someone has experimented with the overhead of
such solutions it would be nice to hear.

Thanks again,
Kostas

PS. Funny how people keep asking this since 1998 and nothing happens! Kind
of makes you wonder what makes a 'desired feature' nowadays...