Re: [squid-users] transparent FTP&delay pools

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:29:24 +0200

Valton Hashani wrote:
> hi,
> forgive me if this question is not at the right place. I wonder if somebody
> could answer me, could it be possible to make it work so I could redirect
> FTP traffic through Squid (transparently) and than I would like to use
> Delay Pools to limit bandwidth to users. It would be great :))

No. Squid is a HTTP proxy. FTP is not HTTP. The two protocols are
fundamentally different.

>. All in one
> (web cache and bandwidth limiting). You know, if I set the browser to use
> FTP proxy than it works with Squid configured with delay pools. Can you
> explain to me why doesn't this work if I redirect transparently FTP
> traffic and would it be possible to make it work in the future.
> thank you in advance

When the browser is configured to use a proxy is uses HTTP to connect to the
proxy, asking the HTTP proxy to retreive a ftp:// URL. It is then the
responsibility of the proxy to figure out how to retreive the ftp:// URL.

When the browser is condigured to go direct it will open a FTP connection to
the FTP server and issue a list of FTP commands as required for fetching the
object.