Re: [squid-users] NTLM auth and Squid

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:40:19 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <shihaya@matavnet.hu>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] NTLM auth and Squid

> On 28 Aug 2002 at 14:12, Jerry Murdock wrote:
>
> > See:
> >
> > http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5
> >
> > to set up squid using the Winbind NTLM and basic auth helpers.
> >
> > Any comments/suggestions on the FAQ entry are encouraged.
> >
> > Jerry
> >

> Without Samba is not possible? I dont like install any unnecessary
> service.

You could use the older SMB ntlm helper, but it isn't as robust, and only
reliably prevents auth pop-ups if you enable the fail-open option - meaning
it can potentially pass a request where the auth attempt has failed.

The SMB helper is not likely to receive much attention, as consensus is that
Winbind is THE way to go for ntlm auth with squid.

Jerry