Re: [squid-users] securing proxy authentication

From: Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:01:45 +0100 (BST)

He didn't misunderstand you. The only way to do what you want is to use
Digest or NTLM authentication. This means that you must use Internet
Explorer, as this is the only browser that supports these methods. If you
cannot mandate the use of that browser, then you are stuck with supporting
base64 encoded passwords. It is sad but true and I wish it were otherwise.

Cheers
Graeme

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Hardi Gunawan wrote:

> On Friday 30 August 2002 14:58, Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there any way to secure proxy authentication (from
> > > the user's web browser to the proxy)? From reading
> > > the FAQ in squid, it's only base64 encoded. Has
> > > anyone able to secure it?
> >
> > Use Digest or NTLM authentication.
>
> I can't find any Digest/NTLM auth in mozilla/konqueror. I believe you
> misunderstood me? I'm finding out how to encrypt the username/password pair
> from the user's web browser to squid, not from squid's external auth program
> to an authentication server.
>
> Thanks

Graeme Wood Email: Graeme.Wood@ed.ac.uk
Unix Systems Support Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh Fax: +44 131 650 6552