Re: [squid-users] weird refresh problem with reverse proxy

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:11:56 -0400

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 08:31 am, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
> everything works fine... except that most of the time, after pages have
> been PURGEd, a customer who uses Internet Explorer keeps seeing old
> versions of the pages... *untill* I press Shift reload on the same page
> with my Mozilla browser and then immediately the customer sees the
> updated version too after a reload (my mozilla and the IE are in
> completely different networks so we don't share any resources)...
> does this make sense at all? could it be that mozilla somehow can force
> squid to do updates which IE can't do?

IE's refresh is (was?) broken, but that's an entirely different matter.

> here's part of the config, which is probably related to this problem:
>
> refresh_pattern . 10080 0% 10080 override-lastmod
> ignore-reload override-expire reload-into-ims

ignore-reload probably isn't helping your situation, but the others should
be okay.

The problem is most likely that squid isn't purging it's memory cache,
only the disk cache. You can check the access_log to see if you are
getting MEM_HITs or just HITs. As long as this is a custom script, you
could have it send reload requests instead of purge requests.

        -- Brian