RE: [squid-users] logging question

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:30:00 -0400

Maxwell,

        Most of those forms are encrypted and I believe that this encrypted data
is never cached/logged.

        There is another issue that you will need to go over with your legal
department/lawyer and your Human Resources department, if you choose to
attempt this. To do this is quite an unethical act and probably highly
illegal.

        First off, this could create a listing of the proxy server users Social
Security Numbers (If in the US.) if they were to be applying for a loan
during lunch. This could also create a listing of their usernames and
passwords for accessing their personal bank accounts or any other
web-site that they may visit.

        Unless I am mistaken, what you are suggesting will break quite a number
of privacy laws, at least within the US and could get you into serious
trouble with the law. I believe that you could end up facing Federal
Charges, if you are in the United States.

         If this is something that was suggested to you by your employer, then
you may wish to bring this to their attention and have them discuss this
with their lawyer before moving forward with this unethical, immoral
task.

        The last thing that you would need to consider, is what happens if you
create this list and someone hacks your site? All of this information
could end up in the hands of other highly unethical people and that
information could then be used to seriously damage the financial
livelihood of the people that you "innocently" collected information
from.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer