RE: [squid-users] logging question

From: maxwell <maxwell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:26:48 -0500 (CDT)

Robert,

    The statement of legality comes straight from our legal department.

    I am well aware of the ways ACLs can be used to create fun and
interesting effects with a user's access, however in this case, it is
irrelevant. There are too many loop holes that would need to be filled,
as the employee's access needs of the moment shift with the requirements
of the account they are managing, and these may shift from second to
second. Clients do not care if their demands are reasonable, and my
employers do not care how unpleasant it may be for the staff to cope with
the vagaries of a client so long as that client pays well.

   Regardless of the merits of personal point of view, I am in a position
that requires me to log this information in order to save these employee's
jobs. What if they are baking? Then they will be fired. What if they
are entering private information in a loan or credit application? They
will be fired. The ethics of the situation are very simple. Every
employee here signs a contract stating that no company computers or
bandwidth may be used for personal tasks, at any time, for any reason.
If they are doing so anyway then, to be blunt, they are people who lack
integrity and deserve no respect or consideration. I prefer however, to
believe that these are people of good moral character, who honor their
agreements and who are simply dealing with clients who are directing them
to sites the client favors.

   While I thank you for the repeated explanation of your personal beliefs
and preferences, my task is unchanged. If I cannot log the information
and use it to vindicate these people, they will be fired. The math is
quite simple. No logging == fired employees. Not in the future, not in
the past, but now. These are real people, who's jobs are at stake and who
will face unemployment _without_ benefit of unemployment insurance or
continued benefits, within about ten working days. The paperwork has
already been started, and I will have a single opportunity to stop it
during a review.

    I will take your previous two messages to mean "I don't know how/if it
can be done with Squid", and will continue on to other avenues. Some
other user here may know how, or I may be able to discover a method
myself.

    Thank you for your time.