Re: [squid-users] Off topic: Problem with non-squid proxy and IBM webserver Why is squid allright?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 01:27:56 +0200

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 22.41, Henk-Jan Kloosterman \(squid\)
wrote:
> We (happely) use a squid proxy server, and no problems what so
> ever. A department in our company has created a (IBM Websphere)
> based web application.
> If we access it using squid there is no problem.
> But:
> When our customers (and I reproduced this) access the application
> using Microsoft ISA proxy server (or a Border Manager Fast Cache
> from NOvell) parts of the screen are not shown, or only when they
> press <crtl><f5> in the browser.
> What is the fundumetal difference between squid and those servers?
> Where must I look for a solution?

That Squid works ;-)

> Would using meta tags or something solve this?

Probably not.

Disabling the support for HTTP/1.1 and/or persistent connections might
maybe make a difference.. but it is hard to tell what is the cause
without looking into the minute details of why the requests fails.
This usually involves staring at full network traces to understand
what the hell is going on, but in case Websphere is triggering some
bug in these other proxy servers then you might need packet traces at
the client end too...

Have you tried talking to IBM presenting it as a issue with Websphere?
Maybe they know what it can be? If the two commercial proxy vendors
out of three tested proxies have trouble with the application then
one could assume it is caused by Websphere (or perhaps the
application running in it), but on the other hand I never stop being
amazed on the effects of buggy HTTP implementations..