Re: [squid-users] Dead parent never reviving

From: Eric Lawson <E.Lawson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:40:50 +1000

>>> Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com> 09/04/02 06:52pm >>>
>Smells like a network issue.
>
>Can you ping the remote office proxy from your parent?
>(or the other way around if there is firewalls)

Currently I can ping both ways successfully. I'll have to wait for another failure to see if I am able to ping during the failure. Although I think that I will be able to. I am able to telnet into the remote box while it thinks the parent is dead. Pings are generally good, around the 35 ms mark. Although we have an application that hogs the bandwidth and the ping jumps up to around 2 seconds, and occasionally ping doesn't get a response.

>Do you run any kind of firewall between the two?
>(including on the parent himself)

This is a rough diagram of the network config. The firewalls are on the other side of the cache servers.

Internet

Firewalls

Parent Cache on a small network between router and firewalls

Router------My local office network

Router-------Remote office network including remote cache

There are actually multiple remote offices, all in a star configuration off my main router.

Eric

                         Warning

This email message and any attached files may contain information
that is confidential and subject of legal privilege intended only
for use by the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient be advised that
you have received this message in error and that any use, copying,
circulation, forwarding, printing or publication of this message or
attached files is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
information contained therein. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
Inbox.

www.nca.gov.au