[squid-users] max redirect_children, still got "FATAL: Too many queued redirector requests"

From: yumei shaw <madeline@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:47:05 +0800

Hi,

I manage a webcache server runing squid, which at its peak hour could
reach 180 requests per second. I use squidGuard as the redirector
program with squid. When I turned on the redirect function, squid
could run smoothly for a while, then it would just "terminated
abnormally". I checked the cache.log, and there're these messages:

WARNING: All redirector processes are busy.
WARNING: 5 pending requests queued
FATAL: Too many queued redirector requests
Squid Cache (Version 2.4.STABLE7): Terminated abnormally.

I increased the redirect_children to the maximum 32, but the same
"sudden death" situation occured. Is there any parameters I could
adjust to prevent this? Or, should I modify the source code of squid to
increase the number of redirect_children?
By the way, the squid runs on a Pentium III 700, duel CPU, 2G RAM
machine, Sun Solaris 8 Intel version.

Thanks!

Yumei Shaw