Re: [squid-users] multiple Squid with single Cisco2600 router

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:24:34 +0200

For this the Cisco must somehow know which of the three a request
should be sent to..

There is several alternatives. Here is a few choices:

  - WCCP

  - Divided route maps, to route parts of the internet to the
different caches. For example by route on the last 3 bits of the IP
address and send

    ....000 -> cache1
    ....001 -> cache2
    ....010 -> cache3
    ....011 -> cache1
    ....100 -> cache2
    ....101 -> cache3
    ....110 -> cache1
    ....111 -> cache2

  Note: I am not very familiar with Cisco configuration syntax so I
cannot give you an example of how this is done in Cisco.

  - Install a TCP load balancer infront of your caches (between the
router and the caches). Linux Virtual Server is a good one with a
very good price (free) if you have a extra box available. does not
need to be the fastest greates box.