[squid-users] Re: squid sibling ....

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 14:03:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Faisal Ashraf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am sending you this email because my msg is not delivering to
> squid-users list i dont know its bouncing back to me.

Probably you are trying to send HTML encoded emails. The list only accept
plain text email.

What does it say in the bounce message?

> I like to know that if i wanna have multiple squid (i am using squid
> for cache server) do i need to on sibling ?

No. You only need to make a sibling relation if you want to.

There is four types of relations

  Child (parent) -> Parent (nothing).

  Server (sibling) -> Sibling (nothing)

  Child (parent) <-> Parent (sibling)

  Server (sibling) <-> Server (sibling)

Plus some variants of the above.. (no-cache option, carp, ...)

> like if i am enabling on one box i set
>
> cache_peer sib2.foo.net sibling 3128 3130 [proxy-only]
>
> now do i have to do anything @ the parent box so it can work ask sibling
> proxy to it?

You (the "parent") do not need to do anything to be able to receive
requests, except to make sure that the proxy that wants to send the
requests is allowed to do so by http_access and icp_access.

You only need to make cache_peer configurations on the servers you want to
send requests from, not on the servers that is to only receive requests
from other servers.