Re: [squid-users] Memory usage

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 08:27:15 -0500

Are you sure you understand how to read memory usage on your system?

"Free" on a running system should not be more than about 3-6MB. Any
operating system worth its salt will use nearly all available memory to
buffer disk I/O in order to improve performance. This has nothing to do
with Squid, and will be the same on any Unix system running for any
reasonable length of time.

Add the buffer and cache values to free to come up with the real amount
of memory that is available for use by programs without requiring
anything to be swapped out.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.