Re: [squid-users] ldap auth & Novell problem

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:45:08 +0200

G Welter wrote:

> AFAIK there's no such thing as a multi-user station in the Novell
> environment. Only one Novell user can be logged in on a Windows
> workstation.

Hmm.. Windows 2000 Terminal Server is defenitely multi user, and I would guess
one can use Terminal Server in a NDS environment..

> But to wrap this subject up, I think that ident would work well enough in
> most environments. The only gripe I had with ident is the amount of ident
> request that Squid performs for the requests. In our environment with about
> 100-200 concurrent users that's just too much traffic. But I say had,
> because we recently upgraded our 256kbit/2 Mbit WAN lines to 100 Mbit :-D

There will be one Ident lookup per TCP connection to the proxy. This is needed
to be able to support multi-user client stations such as UNIX of Windows
Terminal Server.

> Maybe I could throw in a feature request? :-) Could there be also an
> ident_ttl option so this would occur only once in 5 minutes or so? That
> would significantely reduce the amount of traffic (and maybe load on the
> server side)

Sure. But it would not really be IDENT then...

> moneywise) to make this better. Squid out of the box on commodity hardware
> performs allready better than Bordermager on A-brand servers.
>
> But we knew that allready, didn't we? :-)

:-)