Re: [squid-users] Squid authentication & IE6

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:17:09 +0200

Hi,

Il 11.54 19/09/2002 Wei Keong ha scritto:
>Hi Mike,
>
>According to the following, IE6 for Win98, WinME, WinNT4.0 will not work
>with squid auth. IE6 for Win2000 (and WinXP ?) will require tuning.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299838
>
> > NOTE: Internet Explorer 6 for Windows 98, Internet Explorer 6 for
> > Windows 98 Second Edition, Internet Explorer 6 for Windows Millennium
> > Edition, and Internet Explorer 6 for Windows NT 4.0 do not respond to a
> > negotiate challenge and default to NTLM (or Windows NT
> > Challenge/Response) authentication even if the Enable Integrated Windows
> > Authentication (requires restart) check box is selected because this
> > feature is not available on these operating systems.
>
>Could others please confirm?

You are totally wrong: the title of Microsoft article is:

"Unable to Negotiate Kerberos Authentication After Upgrading to Internet
Explorer 6"

Squid doesn't use Kerberos but NTLM !
(And Kerberos is available only on Windows 2000 and later)

Regards

Guido

>Thanks,
>Wei Keong
>

>On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Mike Diggins wrote:
>

> > I too have been noticing the same behavior in the last week or so. I
> > didn't clue in until I saw your post however. Do you think it could be IE
> > 6 SP1? I didn't have the problem with IE 6. I've only noticed it on my
> > home computer running XP. I installed both IE6 SP1 and XP SP1 at the same
> > time. Netscape 4.7 with the same home page via Squid doesn't have the
> > problem from the same computer. Anyone else see this?
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Wei Keong wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm running Squid authentication and encounter problem with IE6.
> > >
> > > When IE6 is launched, the authentication prompt will popup as expected.
> > > However, after correct userid/passwd is sent, the browser is not able
> > > to display the home/default page. The page will only appear after a
> > > refresh.
> > >
> > > Squid log shows that it has received the userid/passwd and returned OK.
> > > But, there is no request observed in Access.log (when not refresh)
> > >
> > > I found the following in IE6 forum and like to confirm if it's really a
> > > IE6 bug. Does anybody know any workaround?

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
E-mail: guido.serassio@serassio.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it