[squid-users] Re: Load balancing behind an arrowpoint

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:38:20 -0500

khiz code wrote:

> Hie
> Posting after a long time . needed some help on certain loadbalancing issues
> well i ve been asked to load balance abt 9 cache servers behind an arrowpoint
> CSS11000 series . the caches are operating in transparent mode
>
> If someone from the community has used the CSS before , can they pls advice me
> on the following
> 1>loadbalancing policy to use on the CSS (urlhash seems to be recommended)
> with a view to spread the load evenly
> 2> reducing duplicate content amongst the caches
>
> will any of the native cache peering techniques ICAP or cache digests be
> helpful in this scenario

If it supports a method 'urlhash', then it simply shouldn't have
duplicate content across caches. So peering techniques would be
pointless and a waste of network throughput and system resources.

ICAP is not a 'peering' technique per se...It is a callout protocol,
permitting content aware behavior outside of the cache device. Virus
checkers, content control, etc. are used with ICAP.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.