[squid-users] Limiting connections

From: SVR Anand <anand@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:36:12 +0530 (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Ours is a huge campus with 2 Mbps Internet access, and we use squid proxy.
I observe that during busy hours number of active connections ranges from
800 to 1200. As a result, both the faculty and students complain that they
get low throughputs, ...naturally. I have put ACLs like denying media downloads
delay pools and so on. Things might have improved but not the complaints!

Is there a way by which I can limit the number of connections per IP using
squid.conf ? I notice that users tend to initiate many connections from their
browsers with a click of the mouse.

Would you recommend alternate schemes that allows me to handle the campus
scanario ?

Anand