[squid-users] Blocking http tunneling servers

From: John Horne <J.Horne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 12:39:14 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

I have been asked if we could block the servers which are providing
http-tunneling for things such as mp3 files. The concern is that the web
caches will start to become overloaded if they have to handle a whole load
of requests sent via an http tunnel. It is the start of the new academic
year and the students are still arriving. However, once into the term it is
not unusual for them to 'test things out', to see what is and is not
possible! In that respect we would like to block the http-tunneling servers
before they get wind of them.

The question is does anyone have a list of such servers already? I asked the
people running some of our other servers but they couldn't give me any
specific IP addresses. How could I find this out? I tried downloading one of
the programs from www.zeropaid.com but there wasn't anything really about
the servers it used.

Many thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@plymouth.ac.uk