Re: [squid-users] IE6/SP1 kills GET after authentication.

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:01:23 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Murphy Terrance M wrote:

> Info:
> SunOS box 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> Squid2.4stable1
>
> Our company is rolling out Internet Explorer 6, with SP1. IE6 without SP1
> works fine, but with SP1 exhibits the following behavior.
> Problem is that the initial get request requiring RADIUS proxy
> authentication returns a IE error page instead of the requested web page.
> An immediate refresh then always delivers the desired page.
>
> A TCP snoop reveals that IE6 with no SP1 (always successful) closes the TCP
> session after authentication and then starts a new one that
> issues the GET for the desired URL. But with SP1, IE6 makes the GET request
> after authentication on the same session as the auth, then
> it immediately closes that session ( killing the GET) , and starts a new
> session with no HTTP request made. Doh!
>
> This happens with NT, 2000, and XP.
>
> Anyone seen this happen before?

It's a known problem that has been discussed on the list in the last few
weeks. Have a look in the list archives. There was a "temporary" fix
posted. We can only hope that Microsoft is working on a proper patch!

I'd like to know if this problem exists with any other authenticating
proxy server (other than Squid)?

-Mike