[squid-users] Need Opinon and/or Advice on deployment options

From: Rylan Hazelton <rylan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:08:37 -0700

I've got a Squid box acting as a transparent acceleration server using
iptables/nat to re-direct the traffic. It's caching the traffic for a
couple web servers at my colo. Most belong to the company some that
belong to others who are piggy backing on our colo arrangement.

Anyway I use mrtg to monitor my iptables to to track traffic to
different hosts, but since all my web traffic is going to 1 server I
can't differentiate between who's using what.

Anyway, I can monitor traffic IN to the squid box, but I don't currently
have any way to differentiate the traffic OUT of the squid box.

I have a couple ideas

1) Run 3 copies of squid on the 1 box and monitor the traffic coming out
of each.
2) Configure squid to somehow to tag the traffic so I can identify it
3) Install some squid reporting software that will let me get traffic by
ip(s)

Please give me your input and ideas or let me know if you need any more
details.

Thanks
-Rylan Hazelton