Re: [squid-users] Using Squid on Port 80

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:12:42 -0500

p z wrote:
> I want to use squid in transparent proxy mode with
> policy routing on my cisco router.
>
> Is it possible to use squid on port 80 to avoid using
> a redirection rule from port 3128 to 80?

No. Local port 80, is not the same as 'somewhere else' port 80.
Traffic coming from your router will be destined for 'somewhere else' on
port 80. You /must/ have a local rule on the proxy server itself to
accept that traffic and send it to Squid.

So yes, you can use port 80 for Squid, but it doesn't mean you don't
have to have a redirect rule on the proxy machine.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.