Re: [squid-users] Proxy doing Denial Of Service attack

From: Rude Yak <rudeyak@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

  The number of calls seems normal (TCP retry, etc.). Does your squid log
destination IP or URL? You may want to run an nslookup or WHOIS query on the
IPs in question to see if it's being logged but under a different name than the
one you're looking for. As far as monitoring outbound traffic, depending on
your O/S, you could run tcpdump or snoop on your Internet-facing interface to
determine whether it is truly your machine generating the traffic; lsof can
also be a handy tool (see the "-r" and "-i" options). It is possible that your
source IP is being used as a spoofed address or decoy -- although if you're
getting complaints from your own firewall folks, that may be an unlikely
scenario.