Re: [squid-users] squid 25s1 direct fetches !

From: Arindam Haldar <arindam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:03:34 +0530

thanx for replying

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 15:14, Arindam Haldar wrote:
>
>>hi all,
>>
>>we use a sibling (rtp.us.ircache.org) with our squid 25s1.
>>now we are trying to implement 2 things with squid
>>
>>1. dont want to use sibling for sites which are less than 20 hops and
>>also where rtt is less than 250ms.. thats is squid should fetch the site
>>directly in such cases without bothering sibling.
>
> use --enable-icmp when building squid
> look in squid.cf.default - minimum_direct_rtt

i tried with mimimum_direct_hops set to 20 & minimum_direct_rtt set to
250 & squid was build with enable-icmp, .. but when i used tcpdump i saw
that still for www.fooo.com it was quering/fetching from sibling though
www.foo.com is just 8 hops away !

>>2. as we are connected to 2 isp, we want owner based policy routing for
>>squid..( we dont want simple destination based policy routing). we want
>>squid(owner of squid) to go thru specific route for some network.
>
> Can you clarify this?
we want to do destination based routing for user squid on our linux
box.. again the aim was to take specific routes for nearby network **for
user squid**,.. we have applied julian patched with iproute to achieve
source ip based policy routing but couldnt acheive the same for user
based policy routing.. i have put this kind of scenario on lartc mailing
list too but not with encoraging replies..

if the 2nd point is achievable then we wont neet rtt & direct_hops as we
can manupulate the routing based owner of the packets, which is not
possible with rtt & direct_hops !

> Rob

one more point to ask to this list :
of your expereinces, what is the permissable numbers threads one should
allow squid to open for aufs type of cache directory !
we have build squid with **24** threads on redhat 7.3, kernel 2.4.19 &
squid 25s1 on p-III 800mhz & 768mb ram !