Re: [squid-users] Letting Outlook see users email

From: Waitman C. Gobble <waitman@dont-contact.us>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 10:31:01 -0700

in your most recent message you said they were having trouble connecting
to the local mail server, however i believe your initial post stated
that they had trouble connecting to remote mail servers...

for local mail

you need to make sure you have a pop or imap server running. check your
inetd.conf or xinetd configuration, not sure what suse uses.

likely it shipped with a pop server and possibly imap server, you just
need to make sure it is running. you can try this on the server:

telnet localhost 110

and see if you connect. if you do try the same from a windows box.

if you do not have an acceptable pop or imap server on the box, try
qpopper at eudora.com for POP mail and washington university IMAP server
(or cyrus - but i think washington u's server is way easier for you to
set up.)

then you simply give outlook the ip address for your server, or a dns
name if you have that set up inside your network.

thanks

waitman