[squid-users] pam auth problem

From: Jason Parlevliet <jase@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:33:09 +1000

Hi

I'm having trouble with Squid 2.5 on a RH7.2 box. It is set up to ask for authentication, using PAM against the local Unix accounts. It pops the dialogue box ok, but i just get authentication failures. (I know PAM probably isn't the best way to do that, but I eventually want to use a pam_ncp module to auth against our netware accounts)

When I try to authenticate, squid's access log says
1034639710.690 3 <my.ip.add.ress> TCP_DENIED/403 1367 GET http://slashdot.org/ - NONE/- text/html

and /var/log/messages says
Oct 15 09:58:09 servername squid(pam_unix)[31900]: authentication failure; logname= uid=99 euid=99 tty= ruser= rhost= user=jase

Squid is running as nobody (UID 99). I chmod +s squid/libexec/auth_pam so it could read what it needs to, and /etc/pam.d/squid reads :
auth required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

I built squid from source using these options
./configure --enable-delay-pools --enable-underscores --enable-basic-auth-helpers="PAM"

And the relevant bits from squid.conf say :
auth_param basic program /usr/local/squid/libexec/pam_auth
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

Any ideas anyone?
Jase