[squid-users] Webmail and .asp website problems with IE

From: Aaron Roberts <aaron@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:32:18 +0100

Hi all,
        I'm sure this has been noticed before, but I have not found any references to it in the archives or on the FAQ.

I am running Squid-2.4.STABLE3.
I have a problem accessing just about any webmail site or any site that uses authentication handled by .asp pages with Internet Explorer.

When accessing webmail sites (namely Hotmail, and my own Exchange webmail) the page shows "Loading..." but never actually opens my mailbox.

When a site requires me to login using .asp generated authentication, submitting the correct username and password brings me straight back to the login/password prompt (If I enter an incorrect username/password, the site reports that my details are invalid).

My access.log shows nothing for the authentication problem, but for webmail (using IE) it reads:

        access.log:
> "NONE error:unsupported-request-method HTTP/0.0" 400 1494 NONE:NONE

I get these problems when using Internet Explorer 5.x and 6 , Opera can access the sites with no problem. Is there a workaround at all?? I realise that this is an IE problem, but try telling that to your users!!

Many thanks,
        Aaron

Aaron Roberts mailto:aroberts@domicilium.com
Technical Support Engineer