Re: [squid-users] aufs problems in 2.5STABLE1

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:34:16 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Michael,

I'v been running Squid 2.4 on Solaris 8 (Sparc) using Diskd for over a
year now without any trouble. I haven't yet tried Squid 2.5 but be sure to
pay attention to these FAQ entries:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-14.html#ss14.1 - disk write error:
(28) No space left on device. Be sure to tune your file system to optimize
for space instead of time. This will bite you eventually.

and..

Related to Diskd...Read (and implement) the Solaris specific info..

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-22.html#ss22.6

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-22.html#ss22.7

-Mike

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Lightfoot.Michael wrote:

> I am testing 2.5 in preparation for ditching Netscape proxy and
> installing squid. :-)
>
> My test environment is Solaris 8 (the production environments will be
> Solaris 7 and Solaris 2.6)
>
> When I set the cache_dir type to aufs I got the same errors as Markus
> Schlup reported in the archives (see
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200210/0011.html),
> although my test cache is lightly loaded and did not crash. I changed
> the type to ufs earlier today and have had no problems since.
>
> Squid is only using 1024 FDs but as the test server is so lightly
> loaded, I didn't think I was running out of resources. Could this
> perhaps be a bug?
>
> At a previous site some time ago I had no problems with aufs on Solaris
> 2.6 and squid 2.4STABLE1 (I think).
>
> Tomorrow I might tempt fate and try diskd. :-)
>

> Michael Lightfoot
> Unix Consultant
> ISG Host Systems
> Comcare
> +61 2 62750680
> NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
> information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
> disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
> error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
> does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.
>
> Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.
>
> We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.
>
> New street addresses:
>
> Canberra office
> Level 1
> 14 Moore street
> CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601
>
> Melbourne Office
> Level 2
> 121 William Street
> MELBOURNE VIC 3001
> Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721
>
> Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.

        ** *** ****** Mike Diggins
       **** **** ******** Analyst, Networks
      ** ******* ** ** Computing and Information Services
     ** ** ** ** ** McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
    ** ** ** ** (905) 525-9140 Ext. 27471 ABB131A
   ** ** ********* Fax: (905) 528-3773
  *** *** ******** Email: diggins@mcmaster.ca