[squid-users] Can I create a regex ACL to not cache certain MIME types?

From: Joseph Solinsky <jsolinsky@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:34:03 -0500

Hello,
        I'm a little confused about the req_mime_type and its usage. I'd like to
not trouble my redirector program I wrote that runs with squid, with traffic
of certain MIME types, such as audio or images.
This is what I'm thinking:
acl audiofiles req_mime_type -i audio/*
always_direct allow audiofiles

        What I'm confused about is that it talks about being pertinent only for
"uploading" in the discussion on req_mime_type, and that's not what I am
after. My system is set up as a transparent proxy, and the redirector is
only meant to run for http://www.yahoo.com/ but not
http://www.yahoo.com/pics/YahooLogo.jpg

        I realize I could probably write an acl for file extensions, but it seems
to me more reliable to use MIME types. There are some operating systems
which don't use DOS file naming conventions, for example.
        Could someone discuss a bit further how the req_mime_type is to be used?
Joseph Solinsky
Cybrix Corporation
jsolinsky@cybrix.com
(952) 843 5432 x229