[squid-users] ssl sites slow

From: <richard.fuser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:37:09 +1000

This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

Hi Guys,

I have been sifting through the arcvhives and found a few topics realted to
SSL problems but nothing specific.

We have had an on going problem with a product within our environment which
is a SSL based web server running a notes based application, all traffic is
passed via SSL there is no http traffic at all which means no caching!

We constantly have people complaining about the speed of the site, one
server sits in SG and one is US and the main issue I have seen is with the
one in the US, I wanted to make sure there are no known issues with passing
SSL traffic via squid and or if it can affect the speed of the traffic.

We are typically allowing internet access only via proxys which passed
through router -> fw -> router and then out to the internet, tests have
been done using broadband connections and this does not occur presumably
becasue there is nothing standing in its way the client can communicate
directly with the web server.

Does anyone have any sort of explanation to why we would be experiencing
this ?

We are running Squid 2.4 STABLE 7 on Solaris 8 i386.

Regards,
Richard Fuser
Firewall & UNIX Systems Administrator

--------------------
NOTICE - This communication contains information which is confidential and
the copyright of Ernst & Young or a third party.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please delete
and destroy all copies and telephone Ernst & Young on 1800 655 717
immediately. If you are the intended recipient of this communication you
should not copy, disclose or distribute this communication without the
authority of Ernst & Young.

Any views expressed in this Communication are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of
Ernst & Young.

Except as required at law, Ernst & Young does not represent, warrant and/or
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor
that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or
interference.

Liability limited by the Accountants Scheme, approved under the
Professional Standards Act 1994 (NSW)