RE: [squid-users] Advice needed on transparent proxy problem

From: Kamesh Patel <kamesh.patel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:30:04 +0100

Hello Marc,

<snip>
> The idea of forced blocking of sites doesn't necessarily imply
>installing SQUID as transparent proxy.
>I feel the issues are unrelated, fw. policies could block standard
>web access without SQUID (proxy) using other methodologies.
<snip>

I feel the issue of blocking and transparent proxying are also unrelated to
my problem as the blocking part comes as a by-product of the proxying, if
wanted.

The problem that i am having is people do not want to use the proxy and the
by-product as it restricts them, they don't seem to understand that websites
will be unblocked if they request them with legitimate reasons. But i do not
want to get involved in the politics of my users (inevitably this will
happen, but at least not for the time being!) as this project was initiated
to keep our users "safe". Well as safe as safe can be in an IT environment,
lol!

<snip>
> Transp. proxying is sort of a hack at the IP level, and can sometimes
>break subtle issues in ip networking between the client and the
>webserver.
<snip>

Because of the problem of a small number users not wanting to accept the
proxy/blocking/cache it has to be forced upon them all using the means of a
transparent proxy! Hence my implementation.

It has been suggested to me that a https accelerator will help me fix my
problem, do you know if this would be the case?

Thanks

Kamesh