[squid-users] best authentication method?

From: Gator <gator@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:55:34 -0400

I'm looking for advice/opinions. What is the best way to authenticate
with Squid?

1. I want to allow 1000-2000 users to go through my Squid proxy and be
challenged for username:password.
2. They should only be challenged once (per session) even though they
start several copies of their browser.
3. I already have the names and plain text passwords in a SQL database.
It would be nice to use the database since updates are frequent.
Security is not a big issue, so plain text passwords would be all right.

I tried the ncsa_auth, but I have to hand create a password file using
htaccess which would be beyond tedious. Also, everytime I start a new
instance of a browser, it challenges me. This would frustrate most
users.

I haven't tried nor know much about the other methods such as LDAP, PAM,
etc.

Thanks - Jack