Re: [squid-users] Benchmarks: ext3 vs. ReiserFS (fwd)

From: Scott Kveton <kveton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:44:36 -0700

> Found this test by Scott
>
> http://www.net.oregonstate.edu/~kveton/fs/
>
> Reiserfs (noatime, notail) seems to be superior... Any comments?

Yeah ... its out-of-date ... :-)

A couple of things I've noticed since I ran those tests (most of which I
learned from pilferring Joe's comments on this list):

1. I increased the physical memory (RAM) to 2GB and lowered the size of
the cache_dir to about 50GB (althought I still think that is too high).
I also upgraded the machine to a dual-processor Xeon on a Dell 2650
which helped a great deal. The machine now handles close to 4500 unique
clients a day at a sustained rate of 125+ requests/s (while keeping the
average reponse time for all HTTP requests at < 0.09s) The load rarely
gets above 2.00.

2. Don't ever get in a situation where you swap with the >2.4.9 kernel.
I'm convinced that something is still screwy with the new VM model and
everytime I have heavy swapping (i.e. using _all_ of your swap) I run
into all sorts of problems. With 2GB and an appropriate cache_mem
setting I don't have this problem as I barely even touch swap.

3. Hardware RAID, RAID, RAID. I'm not constantly writing out to disk
but I do read at a pretty decent rate (with RAID5 reading is good,
writing bad). With a large memory cache on my hardware RAID controller
it makes life that much better.

As for ReiserFS v. ext3? I tested ftp.orst.edu with ext3 this summer
for about 3 days while I migrated to some new, permanent disks.
Normally this machine is a Dell 2550 with 500GB of attached RAID5
storage running ReiserFS on Debian. This machine routinely does 400GB
of traffic a day off campus.

I moved it over to a Dell 2650 with 800GB of attached storage, Debian
and ext3 while I upgraded the disks on the 2550 configuration. Needless to
say I couldn't wait to get it back to ReiserFS. rsync's to the machine
running ext3 where merciless and even proftpd was bogging down with only
about 100+ users attached. This is routinely quite easy for the
ReiserFS machine.

Don't get me wrong; I like the idea of ext3 and will probably start to
use it as it matures. Until then, ReiserFS it is.

Scott :-)