Re: [squid-users] What Virus Scanning software runs "nicely" withSquid?

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:30:56 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "nils toedtmann" <ntoedtmann@marcant.net>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] What Virus Scanning software runs "nicely"
withSquid?

> Do You also use "never_direct" to make sure that an unreachable
> viruswall (high load, segfaults/hangs, mistake) does not lead to
> bypassing it? Or isn't that nesseccary?

I use never_direct as the default. Everything goes through the VW unless
there is an explicit always_direct.

> * If ftp-server use strange permissions on the files/directories,
> the viruswall messes up the listing totally. Rarely some more
> difficulties with ftp-servers.

I haven't noticed the problem, but decided a long time ago that the VW's
ftp listings weren't "pretty" enough. One of my always_direct acls is for
ftp directory listings.

> * Hangs sometimes on SSL/CONNECT (no problem if You bypass the
> viruswall for https like Jerry)

Haven't noticed this, but as you said, my always_direct probably takes
care of it.

> * on one machine we got hanging dns-lookup-children, filling up
> CPU/RAM over the time.

What build of VW? I can honestly say I've had no real problems since
around build 1200 of 3.6. Haven't seen the need to go to 3.7 yet - if it
ain't broke.... Current running 1240+ on most boxes.

I'll probably try 3.7 on the next new install ..

Jerry