[squid-users] Persistent Authentication

From: Gator <gator@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:06:09 -0400

I have tried two authentication schemes in Squid 2.5 and Linux 8.0 - the
standard NCSA and another nice one by Ervin Hegedus that uses MySQL.
They both work fine except...each time a new copy of Internet Explorer
is brought up the user must reauthenticate. This does not happen with
every browser. I tried Mozilla in Linux and once I authenticated I
could bring up other instances of Mozilla without authentication. So it
must be transmitted by the browser. Unfortunately, IE is by far the
most popular browser.

Is there anyway to enable authentication for a whole session? Is there
a better way to authenticate that would solve this? (We need to support
a wide selection of platforms and browsers.)

Thanks - Jack