[squid-users] can anybody help??: PAM + squid problem

From: Michael Gens <Michael.Gens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:06:44 +0100

Hi,

since a longer period of time I try to merge PAM and squid but without
success. A window opens and asking for username and password and
after that it invites me to do it again because there was something wrong.

Environment: 1 PC as router (with a firewall and squid + squid gard) and
serveral
PCs with access to this router.

If these PCs are trying to get an Internet access the above mentioned
behavior happens.

Is there something wrong in my configuration files on the router?

SuSE Linux 8.0,
2.4.18-4GB

file squid.conf:
authenticate_program /usr/sbin/pam_auth <passwd file>
authenticate_children 5
acl checkpw proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow checkpw all
redirect_program /usr/sbin/squidGuard
redirect_children 5
/usr/sbin/pam_auth mit 7755

<passwd> file with pairs
username passwd

/etc/pam.d

file squid generated,
content:

#%PAM-1.0
auth required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

With this configuration there is no error message to find in
/var/log/messages.

By the way:
How to generate a passwd file from /etc/shadow. Or better is there
a chance to use the standard /etc/passwd respectively /etc/shadow for
authorizing? How to adjust it?

Thank you for your help in advance!!

--
Rgds.
            _ #          Michael                        # _