Re: [squid-users] Squid on SAN?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:16:18 -0600

A SAN is very likely to be far more expensive and offer less performance
than off-the-shelf boxes dedicated to Squid. Local filesystems are
always faster than network based filesystems all other things being
equal (i.e. assuming similar drives, similar controllers, etc.).

As has been discussed at length more than a few times, Squid is quite
likely a worst-case scenario for most types of RAID filesystem, because
it has thousands or millions of very small (sub-12k) files. It is
unlikely that a SAN (which very likely uses a RAIDed filesystem) will
overcome this issue better than a high performance machine running Squid
locally.

If you really want to spend some money on 'high end' equipment, get
yourself a nice load balancer, and use commodity hardware to add more
Squid boxes as you need them. You could also use commodity hardware for
the balancer by using LVS, or other methods of load balancing.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.