[squid-users] Passive mode

From: Carl Horne <chorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 08:06:11 -0700

Hi,

We have been using a product (xstop) for blocking access to porn sites
that listens in passive mode on a mirrored port. If there a HTTP
request for a porn site is made it answers before the internet has a
chance with a redirect. The internet's response is dropped by the
browser. This system has worked well for us over the years however they
are now jacking the prices up 10X to continue using the product. Since
we use squid as our proxy servers we are thinking of replacing this
system with squidGuard. The problem is that some of our users have
direct access and they would no longer be covered.

My questions is does anyone know how I could setup squid to listen in
passive mode and redirect if entered URL matched a list? Or does
someone know of a GNU solution that works similar to xstop?

Thanks,
            Carl