Re: [squid-users] Squid as proxy for aol im

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 07 Nov 2002 15:52:59 +0100

I think there is a terminology confusion here.

Squid (any version) can act fine as a https proxy/tunnel using the
CONNECT method.

The CONNECT method is abused by some applications to proxy other TCP
traffic than SSL. This is not what the CONNECT method is meant to be
used for, but it can. Generally it is recommended to consider installing
a SOCKS proxy in such case to have more controlled proxying of general
TCP connections (see Dante if you need a SOCKS proxy server).

Squid 2.5 can also accept proxy connections over SSL to have the
communication between your browser and the proxy encrypted, but there is
no browsers supporting SSL encrypted proxies.

For https proxying over SSL this would result in that the traffic is
encrypted twice. Once for the proxy connection browser<->proxy, and once
for the browser<->webserver end-to-end connection via the proxy.

Regards
Henrik Nordström