RE: [squid-users] Why my squid RSS increase???

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:39:48 +1100

> but it grow beyond the cache_mem
> this is my conf
>
> cache_mem 16 MB
> cache_swap_low 80
> cache_swap_high 100
> maximum_object_size 4096 KB
> minimum_object_size 0 KB
> ipcache_size 1024
> ipcache_low 90
> ipcache_high 95
> cache_dir ufs /usr/squid/cache1 3000 8 256

You really need to go back and carefully read the squid docos at
http://www.squid-cache.org, and especially the FAQ.

As I said in my previous answer:

> > Is your cache_dir growing? Squid has to keep some info in
> memory to
> > efficiently access the cache.

As it has been said regularly on this mailing list for the last several
years, cache_mem is NOT the amount of memory squid will use, it is the
size of the "memory cache" of hot objects, negatively cached URLs and
in-transit objects (anything else?) Cache Manager is your friend for
looking at how memory is being handled in real time.

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
Apologies for the rubbish that follows...
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.

We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.

New street addresses:

Canberra office
Level 1
14 Moore street
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

Melbourne Office
Level 2
121 William Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.