Re: [squid-users] accessing ftp server with non anonymous account

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:16:25 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 15:16, Delia Micu wrote:
> >

> > If I use Mozilla (with the Proxy set to use Squid) and
> > then enter the url
> > ftp://me:me@myFtpServerIP/filename.xml Squid passes the
> > info somehow to the FTP server, which correctly
> > authenticates the account (account 'me' in this case)
> > and gets the files displayed in the browser.
>
> It does this via the HTTP authentication headers. See rfc2616 for
> documentation on these. If your java app uses the same headers, squid
> will turn that into authentication details for FTP.

Actually not. The official method is to provide the credentials in the
URL as above. A HTTP client not capable of using this method is broken.
ftp://user:password@host/...

Squid has an extension to provide the password via HTTP authentication
if no password is given in the URL. This only works for certain browsers
as not all expect to handle HTTP authentication on FTP requests.
ftp://user@host/...