Re: [squid-users] accessing ftp server with non anonymous account

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Nov 2002 14:08:40 +0100

fre 2002-11-08 klockan 10.12 skrev Robert Collins:

> Thats the user interface. It's my understanding the browser->proxy
> interface is via HTTP authentication. Is there an RFC on ftp access via
> HTTP? And I'd expected a Java class to work at the header level, not a
> GUI style interface.

To make sure there is no misunderstanding, here is a description of what
Squid does:

1. If it receives a URL with password information encoded in the URL
(ftp://user:password@host) this is used as the login information to FTP.
This is the documented standard method for requesting non-anonymous FTP
via a URL.

2. If there is only a login (no password) in the requested URL then
Squid will request Basic HTTP authentication from the browser to
complete the request.

Alternative 2 is not explicitly documented in standard, but is
technically a valid thing to do as the HTTP proxy is acting as a HTTP
gateway server when processing ftp:// requests. As it is not explicitly
documented not all browsers expects this to happen.