[squid-users] Squid 2.5: ldap works but then doesnt

From: John Horne <j.horne@dont-contact.us>
Date: 09 Nov 2002 00:03:57 +0000

Hello,

We had a problem last week with a redhat 7.1 server running squid 2.5s1.
Users external to the Uni are authenticated using the ldap helper. All
the squid stuff worked fine - the problem seemed to be with a network
card. I upgraded the server this week to redhat 7.2 (to make it the same
as our other one). Same squid version and configuration as before,
recompiled it all just to make sure though. However, users internal to
the Uni have no problem accessing the server, but external users are
prompted for their username/password (as it should), but it fails to
authenticate them. In cache.log I get:

  squid_ldap_auth: WARNING, could not bind to binddn 'Can't contact LDAP
server'

The server is up and running, because if I use the other cache it all
works fine. If I use ldapsearch with the same arguments
(userid/password, server) then it returns the user data correctly.

I am at a loss as to what has happened. As said the squid stuff is the
same as before, and that worked. The ldap server is okay since it all
works with the other cache.

Anyone any ideas on what i can try or what may have changed?

The relevant squid.conf part is:

auth_param basic program /usr/local/squid/libexec/squid_ldap_auth -b
dc=uopnet,dc=plymouth,dc=ac,dc=uk -f (&(objectClass=user)(name=%s)) -D
xxxxx -w yyyyyy -R -P uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk

Thanks,

John.

E-mail: J.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk