[squid-users] squid & authentication

From: Roger <grunky@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:30:26 -0600

Hi:

My company is currently running squid as a transparent proxy which is
turning out great. However we've run into a snag in the way squid and
web authentication works.

When a user exchanges username+password to access a page hosted on an
Apache web server, things work fine. The user is authenticated and
remains so until the browser is closed.

However one application is run and hosted on a Win2k server running IIS.
 When a user is authenticated the authentication is accepted, but then
with each new page load or refresh the user is required to re-enter
their authentication information. Sometimes to retrieve or enter
information on this page users are prompted 4 or 5 times for their
password..

This behavior just started once squid was implemented and, so I'm pretty
sure its the culperate. I noted that proxy_auth can NOT be used while
squid acts as a transparent proxy.

Looking over the logs I can't find anything that jumps out at me.

Is this constant re-authentication the result of squid or some IIS
problem? How can I stop this behavior.

I'm rather lost... :-(

--
Rock River Internet                          Roger Grunkemeyer
202 W. State St, 8th Floor                grunky@rockriver.net