RE: [squid-users] Re:(2) [squid-users] big difference between "Current Size" and"Filesystem Space in use" ?!

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:25:24 +1100

> Store Directory #0 (diskd): /usr/local/squid/cache/disk2
> FS Block Size 2048 Bytes
> First level subdirectories: 16
> Second level subdirectories: 256
> Maximum Size: 7168000 KB
> Current Size: 1372054 KB
> Percent Used: 19.14%
> Filemap bits in use: 111972 of 131072 (85%)
> Filesystem Space in use: 1399320/8745126 KB (16%)
> Filesystem Inodes in use: 116090/1097598 (11%)
> Flags: SELECTED
> Pending operations: 0
>

> I already made a hypothesis about this. It must be something about
> deleting the files. Because the difference started after the
> disk became
> full. Thus I have disabled truncate and enabled unlinkd again. I am
> trying to see if it will effect when the disk is full.
> Any suggestions?

I didn't look carefully at your first message, but the clue is disabling
unlinkd. This means that instead of deleting files, you simply truncate
them. A truncated file still occupies disk space, either 1 block
fragment (in UFS, ext2, etc and probably 512 bytes in your case) or the
minimal extent size for extent-based FS's.

In your case, you can see by the inodes in use figure that you have lots
of block fragments in use, reducing the number of free blocks in your
filesystem to an unacceptable figure. Remember that a new file can only
be allocated from a free block, not a free block fragment.

I would enable unlinkd again, the performance difference is minimal and
the filesystem effect is rather drastic. :-)

> > Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> > > Store Directory #2 (diskd): /usr/local/squid/cache/disk3
> > > FS Block Size 2048 Bytes
> > > First level subdirectories: 64
> > > Second level subdirectories: 256
> > > Maximum Size: 34816000 KB
> > > Current Size: 32059650 KB
> > > Percent Used: 92.08%
> > > Filemap bits in use: 3172307 of 4194304 (76%)
> > > Filesystem Space in use: 33514708/39576738 KB (85%)
> > > Filesystem Inodes in use: 3722093/4950398 (75%)
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.

We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.

New street addresses:

Canberra office
Level 1
14 Moore street
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

Melbourne Office
Level 2
121 William Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.