[squid-users] Squid Performance

From: Simon Mullis <Simon.Mullis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:19:23 -0000

Hello All,

I would be very interested to understand the key performance bottlenecks
that one would seek to avoid when commissioning a Squid service. I am
primarily concerned with sustained HTTP throughput.

What elements of a chosen hardware platform would have the most effect on
performance for Squid running on Intel based Linux system?

Memory I/O?
Disk subsystem throughput?
CPU clock-speed?
Number of CPUs?
CPU 2nd level Cache?
Front side bus speed?
P4 v. P3 v.
Mounting the disks Asynchronously?

I am aiming for a maximum throughput of greater than 20Mbit/sec per cache.

I am using SQUID 2.5 Stable with AUFS.

Any thoughts, comments or experience would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance.

SM

Simon Mullis
Service Development Consultant
simon.mullis@equinoxsolutions.com
Equinox Converged Solutions Ltd
Tel: +44(0)1252 405 600
Mob: +44(0)7766 087170
http://www.equinoxsolutions.com

Equinox Converged Solutions Limited.
Tel: +44 (0)1252 405 600
http://www.equinoxsolutions.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This message is intended solely for the use of the Individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message. All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Equinox Converged Solutions Limited.
Equinox Converged Solutions Limited accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.