Re: [squid-users] PAM does not work properly

From: Michael Gens <Michael.Gens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:34:34 +0100

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Michael Gens wrote:
>

>>Hello Henrik,
>>
>>I thought following lines in /etc/squid/squid.conf will do that:

>>acl checkpw proxy_auth REQUIRED
>>http_access allow checkpw all

> You also need to build Squid-2.5 with support for the authentication
> schemes you want to use ("basic" is enabled by default) and the
> authentication helpers you want to use for each scheme (none enabled by
> default, as we cannot guess what password database you are using)
>
> See the configure directives
> --enable-auht=
> --enable-*-auth-helpers=

> If you are using the pam_auth helper then you may also need to make sure
> this helper is installed suid root and set up a PAM service definition
> for Squid. See pam_auth.c for details.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Thank you for your help.

In the meantime I assume that the SuSE distributed and precompiled
version of squid is compiled with no authentication options. So
I downloaded squid 2.5 (squid-2.5.STABLE1.tar.gz) from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/ yesterday.

I tried to compile it, but got an error message after invoking
make all ->

pam_auth.c:65:31: security/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory

I searched for it ... and the system is right: It is not there.

Question: Is squid delivered without this file? Where to get that one?

By the way: Is it more recommended to download

"most recent code committed to the SQUID_2_5 branch" ?

--
Rgds.
             _ #          Michael                        # _