Re: [squid-users] PAM does not work properly

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 01:05:28 -0600

Michael Gens wrote:

> Thank you for your help.
>
> In the meantime I assume that the SuSE distributed and precompiled
> version of squid is compiled with no authentication options. So
> I downloaded squid 2.5 (squid-2.5.STABLE1.tar.gz) from
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/ yesterday.
>
> I tried to compile it, but got an error message after invoking
> make all ->
>
> pam_auth.c:65:31: security/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory
>
> I searched for it ... and the system is right: It is not there.
>
> Question: Is squid delivered without this file? Where to get that one?

'locate' is your friend. As is 'rpm'. Here's why:

$ locate pam_appl.h
/usr/share/doc/pam-0.75/html/pam_appl.html
/usr/include/security/pam_appl.h
$ rpm -qf /usr/include/security/pam_appl.h
pam-devel-0.75-40

If you're building software that links against the pam libraries, you
need the pam development package installed on your system, so you have
the library headers it needs. If it isn't already installed, it is
usually worth googling for a hint about what the header is, and whether
it should be part of your OS or part of the package you're trying to build.

Install the appropriate package for your OS, and try to build again.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.