Re: [squid-users] Squid + The Linux kernel - 2.2 or 2.4

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:02:55 -0600

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Monday 18 November 2002 06.04, Mark Tinka wrote:
>
> >Henrik, thanks for that info...
> >
> >however, related to Squid, would u say the 2.2 kernel
> >performs better than the 2.4 kernel..?...
>

> I don't have data to say either way. Joe Cooper is more qualified to
> answer this question I think.
>
> For me it is not a choice. I cannot use Linux-2.2 as it lacks features
> I need.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. Switching to kernel 2.4 happened
for me over a year ago (probably closer to two). At the time of the
switch (around 2.4.8, I think), 2.2 was slightly faster for Squid
workloads on small hardware. I don't know how it compares to the
current kernel on small or large hardware.

It just wasn't worth giving up the extra benefits of 2.4 to gain an
extra 5% or even 10% (though I think it was closer to 5%). New hardware
support always comes into 2.4 first, which is important to me, since we
have to keep on the front end of hardware performance to stay
competitive. Large hardware support is better in 2.4--memory over
~900MB, dual processors, software RAID, etc. Also ReiserFS, the new
bridging/firewall code, and other good stuff is included standard, which
makes my kernel RPM building job so much easier.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.