[squid-users] Intermittent TIMEOUT_FIRST_UP_PARENT

From: Rabie van der Merwe <Rvdmerwe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:08:21 +0200

I have the following setup:
1xParent Cache running MD8.2 with Squid2.4S7 all stock RPMS
        512MB Ram, PIII 1Ghz, 3x36Gb Raid 5 (cache size = 30Gb)
        Also running sendmail and caching named
5xChild Cache's (1000 clients total) in various sites
including one in the same site as the parent which carries
about 500 clients.

The Parent is located in a DMZ with 100Mb Nic's allround,
and the children are on the internal lan.The parent cache
has a loadaverage of about 0.1 which sometimes goes above
0.3, and the system response appears to be ok.

During normal operation I keep getting
'TIMEOUT_FIRST_UP_PARENT' and I get them at about
30 msg/minute (on the child in the same site).
I have started using DISKD on the parent, but it doesn't
appear to be making any difference. I have configured
the cachemgr.cgi, but am not sure what to look for.

I have done a tcpdump for icmp port 3130 and monitored the
traffic, and there appears to be no dropped packets.

Now for the Question:
Can anyone point me in the right direction, what do I look for
on cachemgr.cgi?
Currently I have one store at 30Gb should I split this, although
it would still be on the same raid 5 set?
Is their any other changes I can make to my config that will
improve response time.

I will gladly supply configs if required.

Regards
Rabie van der Merwe

                                ------
                                NOTICE
                                ------
This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.

Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copy or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient, is prohibited.

If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the
material from any computer.

Metropolitan Health Group, its subsidiaries or associates
do not accept liability for any personal views expressed in
this message.